These soft chewy cereal bars are a cheap easy bar to make yourself. Either into cereal bars, squares or shaped into round bite sized energy balls- for quick snacks on the go. Great for that a long lasting burst of energy pre-climb, or a snack mid-session.
The sweet potato replaces some of the sugar usually used to bind granola or cereal bars. The almonds and pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium which aids muscle recovery, with the pumpkin seeds also adding protein to the bars.
- 180 g Oats
- 220 g Sweet potato (~1 large sweet potato)
- 65 g Almond Butter
- 50 g Golden Syrup
- 60 g Dark Chocolate
- Peel and boil sweet potatoes for 10-12 minutes before mashing.
- While they are boiling combine the other ingredients
- When cooled slightly add the sweet potato to the other ingredients and mix well.
- If making into bars spread mixture into a 20 cm square tin. Alternatively, to make energy balls, shape a tablespoons worth of mixture into round balls using the palms of your hands and place on a baking tray
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 180 °C, until slightly harder and darker in colour
- Cut the bars into square or slices when warm, however wait until cool to remove from the tin.